"REVENGE OF THE SOCCER MOMS"




Never underestimate smart, funny, and slightly bored stay-at-home moms, especially when they get angry.

Teenage drivers, abusive husbands, vandals, and child molesters are no match for these women.

But when does Neighborhood Watch become Vigilantism? And when the Moms kill a cheating husband

and the 24-hour news channels camp out in their neighborhood, will their lives ever be the same?




Saturday, January 23, 2010

Another Opportunity!

I just submitted two chapters to a book packager, in hopes of being chosen to take over a children's series. It's a series for girls, 8-12, and has a mix of humor and drama and schtick that appeals to me. As a bonus, you get to use lots of ! which are frowned upon in the adult writing world.

I think I nailed the assignment, which was to mimic the style of the previous writer, so that the readers won't be able to tell there's been a change. After so many years of focusing on finding my own "voice," that was a little... different... but the old writer's style was similar to my own in some ways, so it wasn't difficult.

Well, I don't think it was difficult, but then again, I thought I did a bang-up job on the last project this company let me try for, and I didn't get that contract. I can see why, though. Looking back (wouldn't it be nice to see these things BEFORE?) I can see that I turned their characters (teen boys) into people I wanted to write about, instead of writing them the way the company envisioned them. That seems obvious now, but at the time, I missed what I was doing.

This Book Packaging stuff is fascinating to me. I suppose some writers would turn their noses up at it, but I think it's fun. Somebody else provides the characters and the summary of the action, and you write to it. No concerns about "What should happen next?" Just write! The down-side is that you don't get to trumpet your own success and see your name on the cover, but I'll take cash over ego-massage, any day.

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Maikis Dollhouse kit by MK-Designs