"REVENGE OF THE SOCCER MOMS"




Never underestimate smart, funny, and slightly bored stay-at-home moms, especially when they get angry.

Teenage drivers, abusive husbands, vandals, and child molesters are no match for these women.

But when does Neighborhood Watch become Vigilantism? And when the Moms kill a cheating husband

and the 24-hour news channels camp out in their neighborhood, will their lives ever be the same?




Saturday, June 2, 2012

Rethinking My Plans for World Domination

Okay, so getting published isn't exactly world domination, but it's not much easier. A few nights ago I was browsing other people's writing blogs, and came across one written by a published writer who gave his opinion on e-publishing. Now, that's basically self-publishing, but without the basement full of books that you end up having to give away or turn into doorstops.

His opinion was clear--the traditional publishing world is in turmoil, and if you have a good piece of writing, just shut up and get it out into the world. If you're not ready for prime time, and the world of agents and editors has told you this, and you won't listen, well, take up knitting or stamp collecting. BUT, if you really are good and just can't get anybody's attention because so many publishing houses are going out of business and your name isn't Madonna, then take matters into your own hands.

It didn't hurt that he gave two examples of writers who offered their e-books for $.99 and have both made over a million dollars. I'm in this for the love of writing AND the money, so that didn't hurt at all.

I am going to seriously consider withdrawing Revenge of the Soccer Moms from my agent, since our contract is officially up, and educating myself on the best way to present an e-book. I have already learned that a professional front cover for the virtual book is essential, but that's fairly obvious. I found a link to a company that designs such things, and I'm going to contact them.

If I do this, I'll have to stop turning my pointy nose up at self-published authors, but I love the idea of selling downloads for $.99 and making lots of money.

I also like the idea of banishing the snooty editor from my psyche who tells me I'm not good enough, and writing what I want to write, just for me and my readers. I worry too much about what "the experts" will say about my work, which shuts me down. I suspect that real people will like my writing and find it funny and entertaining. If I take out the middle men and go directly to readers, I think I can enjoy writing and make money. What fun!

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Maikis Dollhouse kit by MK-Designs