"REVENGE OF THE SOCCER MOMS"




Never underestimate smart, funny, and slightly bored stay-at-home moms, especially when they get angry.

Teenage drivers, abusive husbands, vandals, and child molesters are no match for these women.

But when does Neighborhood Watch become Vigilantism? And when the Moms kill a cheating husband

and the 24-hour news channels camp out in their neighborhood, will their lives ever be the same?




Wednesday, July 22, 2015

How to Write a Better Novel

First, recognize that you probably don't know what the hell you're doing, and go find out. I worked on my novel for a year or two before I took my first class at the Iowa Summer Writing Festival. No experience is wasted, but I didn't know how much I didn't know until I went to Iowa. I didn't even understand the course descriptions. "Story Arc?" "Types of Dialogue?" "Structure of a Scene?" 

No idea. 

Every summer I'd come back with new bullets in my gun, and I'd have to start my novel over. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but just a bit. Now I'm totally OCD about point of view--I learned how to switch POV, and when it's appropriate to do so, but it drives me insane when a writer gets sloppy about whose eyes we're looking through. 

The other smart thing I finally did was start reading more fiction. Actually, I listen, rather than read. If Audible.com ever goes away, I'll go with it. Listening to books and realizing that I was impatient with glib, cute dialogue forced me to stop writing glib, cute dialogue. One of my best instructors persuaded me that I had a literary streak, and I needed to use it. So over the last couple of years, as I've edited Revenge, I've tried to make the characters more real, more flawed, and less clever. I like books that combine genre with literary writing, so that I can believe in the characters and not just read about their adventures. 

That's enough for now. I don't read long, boring blogs.



No comments:

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Maikis Dollhouse kit by MK-Designs